Friday, July 13, 2007

Lesson 6 on Wikis

At first, second and third glances, wikis seem to be trumping traditional web pages. There are so many advantages: ease of use, flexibility, tracking changes with user names and timestamps, and using the history feature that allows us to restore the wiki back to a prior version. Again, I’m hooked in a different way. My sense is that I’ll need to tinker with blogs and wikis and really use them with people for a real purpose to really know what took is best. I’m also feeling a need to more clearly define my vision, purpose and audience. Multiple pages or multiple wikis or blog or web? After looking at a wonderful classroom wiki example and a book publishing wiki example, I can see how a wiki might be the best fit for student projects, collaborative sharing, and possibly archiving student work. I don’t sense this will be the best place for a parent networking group, a blog might still be the tool. Well, like so many things (wakeboarding… sushi…roasted lima beans/olives& garlic), the only way to know if you like it is to try it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"I’m also feeling a need to more clearly define my vision, purpose and audience."

I think this is the key, Ed. Each tool has strengths that make it effective for certain purposes. I think you do need a clear vision of what you are trying to accomplish and then you can choose the tool that best meets that purpose.