Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Reflection #1 from Lesson 4

Classroom blogging has a lot of potential for student-teacher, student-world, teacher-teacher, teacher-world, teacher- parent and parent-parent sharing and communicating. I learned how easy it is to set up a blog. Kids seem to be familiar with blogs, so why not capitalize on their interests? I’m also realizing that it takes seat time which might be easier during the school year and easier for my students than the teacher. I think the biggest hurdle (for me) is not the technology of blogging but the habit of maintaining and monitoring a blog regularly. I found it very difficult on vacation and during family reunions, even with high speed connections, to steal time to sit at the computer and actively listen to video instruction. Headphones/earbuds helped! I’m still skeptical about efficient use of time verses the learning communicating benefits. The only way to know is to give blogging a try.

For student work and feedback, blogging seems easier and more immediately gratifying than uploading their material for a classroom website. Unlike our SchoolCenter websites, it seems like I can give students more control over their work and there is a greater potential for feedback from peers, family, and the world.

Next year, I see a couple ways I might use a blog. I’d either like to maintain a classroom blog, topical/unit blogs, and/or a blog for each student…maybe with my older 6th or 5th grade students. I can picture students sharing their work and receiving authentic comments. I’d like to find a way or organizing podcast/vodcast products and making them immediately available. The website still might be the best way to archive student work…still not sure yet. I could also see our off-the charts advanced readers who are not challenged with guided reading getting involved with book blogs.

Next year, I also see the need for connecting parents and promoting opportunities with a Gifted-Talented Parent Blog. Parents have asked for help networking but I don’t see/hear it happening. Blogging seems like an ideal way of getting in on the discussion and keeps it going. No matter what way I use blogging, I’d like to keep connected with other colleagues doing the same.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These are great ideas and very valid concerns as well, Ed. I think maybe the answer might be a combination of tools, all linked to each other.

irish said...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts Eddie. I have similar feelings. It is challenging to find time to sit and reflect on things you are learning when you want to actively engage in more hands on activities. This is definitely a great way to communicate with so many people outside of the regular school day. I like your idea of the parent blog with your gifted and talented kids.